Art is my life. From the first art project I can remember (making a Christmas Nativity scene in grade school that overshadowed the resident artist) art has always been what brings me the greatest satisfaction. Without art, I am not who I am.
My artwork has been featured at the world renowned TED (Technology, Education and Design) conference (TED MED in San Diego, on huge high definition screens throughout the exhibition center).
Additional recent news:
• There was a nice write-up about my fine art work on emptyeasel.com - glad to have found it and grateful for the thoughtful prose: http://emptyeasel.com/…/catherine-twomey-diverse-paintings…/
• Medicine Illuminated Exhibition at the Lloyd Museum; 2015: Juried exhibition from the museum's collection.
• The Lloyd Museum now has over 100 original pieces of my artwork.
• Finalist in the Giliola Gamerini Award International Competition for Medical and Scientific Illustration, 2015.
• My oil paintings were just featured on the inside cover and an article spread of Wine & Country Living magazine; the paintings were purchased for the publisher's collection and magazine featured at Barnes and Noble Booksellers, 2015. In addition,
• I won the nationally acclaimed ArtInPlace competition in Virginia which placed a 12' X 24' mural on aluminum of my work, now seen by thousands of commuters daily.
Two museums currently house my art: The William H. Benton Museum in Connecticut, and The LLoyd Museum in Cincinnati, Ohio. It was a great honor to be asked to exhibit and I continue to add to their collections. Speaking of collections, my work is a part of hundreds of private collections worldwide.
I am a published author which means I have no excuse for bad writing or editing. Mea culpa. I'm not nearly as good a writer as my brother Steve, who won a Pulitzer Prize and has some books in the works. I do, however, try.
There have been great influencers throughout my life. My mother, who raised three children alone on a schoolteacher's salary. My brother Steve was a columnist for the Washington Post for 15 years, and whose World War II book, "Countdown to Pearl Harbor - Twelve Days To The Attack" was just published with terrific reviews in the New York Times, LA Times and Washington Post. My sister Ann, who is a delightful human resources manager and mother to my special nieces, Maddie and Blair. Cousin, writer and comedian Julia Sweeney from Saturday Night Live and many books, one-woman shows and screenplays. My sister-in-law Kathleen Carroll runs the editorial side of the Associated Press, and is Chairperson of the Pulitzer Prize Award Board. All of these influencers have accomplished amazing things despite great adversity.
I have studied with some of the best artistic and scientific minds in the world: fellow medical illustrators. Leonardo da Vinci is considered the first medical illustrator, and his knowledge, technical abilities and deep curiosity are benchmarks for the field. As a Board Certified Medical Illustrator, I have had the privilege to know and learn directly from some of the most extraordinarily talented, smart and influential visionaries living today.
Fine art influencers include Georgia O'Keefe, da Vinci, Abbey Ryan, Rembrandt and Degas. I look to their struggles and triumphs, and their unflinching persistence.
I'm available to answer any questions you have about my process or anything else art related. Your input is always welcome.